Bannon’s lawyers object to the publication of documents

0


Steve Bannon, the former Trump White House adviser, has appealed the U.S. District Court’s standard protection order under investigation, which prohibits either side from publicly releasing any document or evidence.

Bannon, 67, pleaded not guilty of disobeying Congress last week, and his legal team previously argued that if he agreed to the prosecution’s protection order to investigate, the case would be more complicated.

“The public should make their own independent judgment, based on all facts, as to whether the US Department of Justice has an obligation to deliver a fair result,” a Washington Post statement on behalf of Bannon said. “In the notice of objection filed today, Mr. Bannon asked the judge to follow normal procedure and allow unrestricted access to and use of the documents.”

US Assistant Attorney Amanda Vaughn said “fewer than 20 documents” were required, but Bannon’s attorney Evan Corcoran told reporters that the defense is likely to need to locate more documents and witnesses.

Bannon’s legal team argued that the government had little reason to withhold the documents from the public, adding that many of the documents, which in this case would be restricted by the proposed protection order, are already public.

“The government has not given a reason why it wanted to restrict Mr Bannon’s attorneys from using the documents in preparation for a defense,” Bannon’s statement said.

Bannon has refused to comply with an order from the House of Representatives Special Committee to investigate the January 6 attack on the Capitol, and has refused to provide records and testimony of his actions that led to the attack. The committee is interested in interviewing Bannon about activities at the Willard Hotel in the week leading up to January 6th.


Share.

Comments are closed.